Tuesday Dec 20, 2022
17. Three Strengths YOU have as a career changer + The Career Academy is Opening!
“I can’t believe I have to start over…”
“I’ve invested too much in this industry to leave now”
“I don’t want to start at the bottom again”
Guess what?! You don’t have to!
Changing careers can sometimes mean a small dip but rarely does it mean a blank slate. In fact, many times a career change is what makes you exactly the candidate a company is looking for.
You are like a key they need - the one unique key that can open their lock.
Listen in for three strengths you can leverage when you change careers:
A skill set no one in the candidate pool has
Leverage your career difference by searching for the gap you can fill in your next season. Are you a teacher hoping to hop into tech? Focus on online education or educational software companies, for example. Are you an engineer switching to social services? Seek out virtual and tech oriented social services companies where you are sure to be an asset and blessing.
A fresh perspective
We’ve all stared at the same widget for so long, it could be backwards and inside down… and we wouldn’t even notice. Use your resume summary and/or cover letter, networking conversations and interview as opportunities to showcase your fresh perspective. Get curious about the product or service you hope to work with and use your newbie perspective to open the committee’s eyes to a gap, hidden opportunity, or a fix they just hadn’t seen.
Companies like to do things their way
Years ago, I answered an easy industry question with the wrong answer. And I was hired. I knew my mistake after looking it up post-interview, so I was dumbfounded. Their response? “We liked that you were so green. We need someone we can groom into our way of business.” WOW. How do you leverage this?
- Pick up hints in job descriptions
- Look for startups (often they want flexible folks who aren’t set in old ways)
- Seek out companies that train as part of their onboarding
But...remember this is just a starting point - don’t take yourself out of the running, even if you don’t see one of these hints.
You don’t need to start over. You just need to find the lock your key opens.
THE UNCOMMON CAREER ACADEMY IS OPENING
Want to get ready for those quarter 1 positions? Let's DO IT!
Did you know most companies get hiring budgets in January and begin a job posting rush in the first quarter?
While everyone else is lounging around all through the holidays, HR departments are getting ready to post positions, start interviewing, and hire great candidates.
That's why now is PRIME TIME to:
- Get Clarity
- Get Confident
- Get HIRED!
The Career Academy is now open for Founding Members!
What is a founding member?
- Get the lowest pricing ...ever
- Get 1:1 attention at a group coaching price
- Pay a fraction of 1:1 coaching cost
- All-new content is created around your needs and answers your questions
Cohort 1 is limited to an intimate group of 10-20 Founding Members and will begin the first week in January.
Get in now! Click here to join
Use code ACADEMYFOUNDER30 for Founder-only 30% off pricing (but grab it before it's gone!)
- Career Transition Blueprint: a checklist to cut the stress and simplify your career leap
- 5-Step's to God's Will for Your Career: a 5-step process to find and follow your God-given calling
- The Bible-based Mindset Fix: A scripture strategy to move past mental battles and turn your faith into action
Desktop site: https://theuncommoncareer.com
Mobile site: https://theuncommoncareer.com/lib
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.